A Day at Petersen Automotive Museum

Saturday, February 6, 2016

One thing that Josh has always wanted to do was go and see the collection at the Petersen Automotive Museum, so the other week when I had a day off that is just what we did. The museum is visible in the distance from my work, and you cannot miss this piece of architecture! Having only just had a complete facelift (...$90 million US renovation) this building stands out along Museum Row in Miracle Mile. 

I always enjoy going to a museum, especially one of the world's largest automotive collections. Don't get me wrong, I am no 'rev head' and hold no great knowledge on the mechanical side of cars, but I do have a great appreciation for the aesthetic of cars from 1920-1960. I love how these pieces of history have been preserved for our viewing pleasure. I can only imagine the places these cars have travelled, the people who relied on and enjoyed these vehicles, or the conversations held in the small space. 

Chevrolet Concept Car (Circa 1950's)
This beauty was my favourite, 1940 Mercury 
As was this one, so elegant!

My love for vintage cars was what originally led me to vintage clothing, the allure of glamour. 



Beautiful moments and smiles captured
Doane Spencer 32 Roadster, Josh's favourite 
Robert Petersen, American publisher (Hot Rod Magazine) & founder of the Petersen Automotive Museum

Cadzilla & The Hirohata Merc by Barris
1939 Bugatti built and gifted to the Price of Persia by the French Government
1939 Delahaye

Custom car luggage enabled motorists to optimize carrying capacity for auto mobile trips. Stickers were collected from hotels and cities to showcase where travellers had been.


We also did the vault tour, which unfortunately for you, we were not allowed to take pictures (they even have a security guard keeping an eye on you and your camera/phone at all times). The vault houses hundreds of cars, from all eras to please all types of automotive enthusiasts, and all are kept in climate controlled conditions. For those who aren't necessarily automotive enthusiasts, it is still worth the tour simply for the history lesson. I learned so much about how they began designing cars (horseless carriages), and saw cars that belonged to Fred Astaire, Jayne Mansfield, The Kennedy's Ed Roth and many other influential people from the past. One of my favourite cars from the vault was a 1953 Black Ferrari gifted to Henry Ford, so suave! 

 If you are ever in Los Angeles, please put this on your to-do list!

With Love




DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS