Catalina Island

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The other week we ventured off to Catalina Island, Hollywood's Magical Island. Unlike Hollywood, this is no facade, the water is crystal clear, stunning Spanish architecture and untouched landscape, Catalina is an island paradise! 


As soon as we got off the ferry, checked into the Snug Harbour Inn, we wanted to venture around the island. We went and rented golf carts  (the main form of transportation on the island) and started climbing the hills of Avalon. On that day, the clouds were rolling in thick, so once we were up higher we couldn't see the town, instead we had a magical view as good as one from a plane. It was so fun putting around in the golf cart, pulling off to the side on the road whenever we wanted to take in the view. 
Avalon hidden by cloud
My head is in the clouds, as they would say




I picked this vintage dress up, only 2 days before the trip for a total bargain!








While on Catalina, we stayed at the Snug Harbor Inn which was an absolute pleasure! This quaint hotel only offers six rooms, each designed differently staying within coastal style. I didn't want to check out of our room, I grew too fond of the fire place, comfy bed , and having breakfast brought to the room. 


Tea, coffee, juice, yoghurt, muesli, fruit, fresh banana bread...food coma...back to bed.













On our last day, I convinced Josh to join me on a tour to the top of the island in a 1955 bus. I was more sold on cruising around in the vintage bus than the tour itself, but was excited to venture up towards the top of the island which is all held under conservation, leaving it only accessible by tour. The road up was a small, windy dirt road, which at times had me feeling nervous as I looked down the side to a steep drop. It was all worth it though for the view over the rolling hills and  ocean were breathtaking, we even spotted a huge bison (buffalo) roaming around. 


Josh was definitely a pilot in his past life
At the very top of the island, stands the Catalina Airport. The smallest airport I have ever seen, but the only airport I have ever seen with such a nice view. We stopped here for a snack, and watched the small private planes take off and land. 

The Catalina Airport




View over the bay as we heading back into Avalon from the tour
Josh & I loved this house, would love to recreate something similar one day

Catalina Island, is so far my favourite spot in SoCal, and should never be missed! I am so surprised at how many people who live in Los Angeles have never been, it is so worth the visit, even if only for a day trip. I certainly hope I'll be back!
                                                  With love, 

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS